There’s a lot to coordinate when planning your wedding! You need secure a venue, make the guest list, find the perfect shoes and prepare your skin. Yes, your skin should be included in your wedding planning. It takes time to achieve that perfect glow for your wedding day!
Wedding day skincare should start when you are starting to make your guest list – around 10-12 months out from your wedding date. Skin concerns such as acne and brown spots take time to improve and injections such as Botox and fillers should be done a few months out so there is room for tweaks, especially if it is your first-time getting injections.
Don’t worry though, we’ve put together a simple guide to help you glow on your big day!
10-12 Months Out: Start a Skincare Routine
If you haven’t yet, start a skincare regimen and discover what your morning and evening routine looks like. Your goal is to improve complexion and texture for the big day.
Not all skincare products are created equal. Choose medical grade skincare products as these are tested, proven and carefully designed to deliver the results you need and want. Depending on your skin type and concerns, you may want to use products with the following ingredients:
And if you're still wondering if there's really a difference between medical grade skincare and drugstore products (there definitely is!), you can read more about medical grade skincare products here.
- Gentle face wash
- Rejuven-Eyes Plus Eye Cream: This contains retinol & peptides for anti-wrinkle and for firming the skin. Available at ASC Dermatology, Plastic Surgery and Skincare offices.
- Vitamin C & E Serum: Provides gentle exfoliation, brightening, stimulation of collagen for anti-aging and it improves texture. ASC's Restoration Serum is chock full of high quality Vitamin C and antioxidants!
- Moisturizer containing Niacinamide.
- Gentle face wash
- Neocutis Lumiere Eye Cream: A gentle nighttime eye cream with growth factors, Vitamin C and Caffeine.
- Hyaluronic Acid Serum: Simple, yet powerful serum that plumps, hydrates and builds collagen. A favorite is ASC's Under Everything Super Moisturizing Serum.
- Retinol / Retinoid Cream: This should be applied over the entire face. Retinol and Retinoid are the #1 anti-aging ingredients and they increase cell turnover (increasing collagen), lighten brown spots, shrinks pores and improve texture of the skin.
Once a Week at Bedtime:
Use Saturday Night Brightening Pads with Azelaic Acid to brighten complexion and lighten brown spots. You can purchase these at ASC's Danbury, Stamford, Ridgefield and Norwalk offices.
6 Months Out: Target Specific Skin IssuesNow is the time to start addressing any specific skin issues you may have such as acne, dark spots, redness and wrinkles.
- Topical Prescription Medications: Some may contain a retinol which also doubles as an anti-aging treatment.
- Chemical Peels: You should have 3 consecutive treatments, 1 month apart and then 1 treatment every 3-4 months for maintenance. Read about Chemical Peels here.
- MicroNeedling with PRP: This is a great treatment for acne scars. Read about MicroNeedling and PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) here.
- IPL (Intense Pulse Light) and MicroNeedling are two great treatments for improving dark spots and sun spots from your face, neck, chest and hands. We recommend having 3 treatments, 1 month apart.
- Topical creams that lighten and brighten are also perfect for maintenance.
- IPL works wonders for redness in cheeks and enlarged blood vessels on the face and chest. Read about IPL here.
Fine Lines and Wrinkles:
- Botox: If it’s your first-time receiving Botox, schedule your first treatment about 6-8 months in advance. Botox isn’t immediately effective, so you need time to evaluate the results and plan for any touch-ups. Botox typically lasts for 4 months, so a touch up or retreat 4-6 weeks out is a safe timeline to plan for. For those who have had Botox before, you can schedule 1 month from your wedding day.
- Fillers: Fillers such as Juvederm and Belotero typically last around 6 months. If this is your first-time receiving fillers, you’ll want to have enough time for any bruising and swelling to go away and for any additional treatment or touch-ups. The 6 month mark is a good time to begin speaking with your doctor about your desired results. Be sure to schedule your actual filler appointment at least 2 months in advance.
3 Months Out: Enhance Your Skin
As the big day gets closer, now is not the time to do anything drastic or major. Maintain your current regimen and only incorporate gentle treatments to enhance your skin.
- HydraFacials: HydraFacials are get your skin “red carpet ready.” This gentle treatment exfoliates, extracts and hydrates the skin leaving you with a dewy glow. This is gentler than a chemical peel so it’s safe to do as the big day gets closer. 3 treatments, 1 month apart is recommended.
- Fillers: If you're looking for some smoothing and plumping and haven't already scheduled an appointment, now is the time! Fillers should be done at least 2 months before your wedding day.
1 Month Out: Final Touches
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! The final month can be stressful so make sure you are drinking plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and healthy.
- Botox Touch-Ups: If you need a Botox touch-up, schedule your appointment at the beginning of the month and remember to ice afterwards to minimize potential bruising.
- HydraFacial: For some extra hydration, schedule a HydraFacial 1 week before your wedding day.
The key is finding a regimen that is compatible with both your individual skin and your schedule. Before starting a new routine, be sure to consult with a Dermatologist or Skincare Specialist to go over your medical history and concerns and to get proper instruction for applying products.
If you have any questions, or are interested in any of the products or treatments mentioned, feel free to contact us and we'd be happy to assist you in finding the perfect skincare plan for your wedding day! Advanced Specialty Care has Dermatology, Skincare and Plastic Surgery offices throughout Connecticut in Danbury, Ridgefield, Norwalk and Stamford.
Interested in learning more or scheduling an appointment? Call (203) 830-4700 or click here to schedule your appointment today!
You May Also Be Interested In:
Advanced Specialty Care is a multi-specialty private practice caring for patients in Fairfield County, CT for over 30 years. We are committed to the well-being of our patients. We provide specialty care in Allergy & Asthma, Audiology, Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery, Dermatology and Skin Care, Ear, Nose & Throat, Head & Neck Surgery and Hand Surgery. Our six, convenient Connecticut offices include, Danbury, New Milford, Norwalk, Ridgefield, Southbury and Stamford.